Saturday, February 23, 2013

BOLIVIA!

What's this you say about Bolivia..... Cathy, you  just drop this bomb about a trip to Bolivia and don't explain yourself? Well, let me enlighten you.

Our daughter Allison just completed her Foreign Service intro class. At the end of the class the participants are given an envelop with their assignment. The participants are given a list of the available positions and asked to rank which ones that would want to be assigned to. Since Allison is an English and Spanish speaker, that excluded some of the choices. Since she is 7 months pregnant, that excluded other since they were available NOW! Knowing she would be traveling with husband and child, her choices excluded a few locations that may not be as secure. I am not 100% positive but I believe her final choices included Mexico City, Santiago Chile and La Paz Bolivia.

She announced her new assignment by sending a link to this video.


Bolivia somewhere above it all. LIKE 2.5 miles above it all! Something like 20 + hours away via multiple flights. A world away and an adventure unlike any other. I am so proud of her. I am so happy that all her hard work is paying off with a plum assignment in an interesting place where what she does WILL matter.

I try to imagine what it will be like for a little baby, for a young mother and father and I am convinced it will be remarkable. I can't hide some disappointment that I will be so far away. But I have been far away as it is. We haven't booked the tickets yet, but it is my intention on going to visit Bolivia. Researching this trip I realize how expensive it can be, how far it is, how complicated the travel and how exciting it will be.



I have always loved adventure. This will be one fine one on one fine day. So congratulations to Allison - you will rock the Andes. I think possibly I shall be able to keep up! By the time we arrive I will have finished my 2nd 3 day!

No comments:

Post a Comment