Monday, October 15, 2012

The other side of the street - Day 3

We left Virginia and went to DC, backtracking until we came to what we thought would be the ideal spot to set up camp. At the Dumbarton Bridge. The last time I had seen this bridge was last year in the rain...

Today like the rest of the weekend the weather was stunning. we set up on the Turkish Embassy side of the bridge. It was a perfect location because we were somewhat of a surprise as the walkers turned the corner. I think we were a surprise to the Turkish Embassy because someone sent the Secret Service to observe us, and then later a security person hung out for awhile. I suppose something about screaming people in pink was disconcerting.

Here they come!


This is basically the home stretch so I thought it would be a good idea to get folks to HOOT!

Also to check out the pink dog. Problem was getting back up for a hello was tough for some!
He's a star!
A fellow Belief flag holder!

HOOT!

 
HOOT!
Yahoo!

 
Check out the pink dog! KIDS walkers and people who drove by.....
All loved the pink dog!


HOOT!

 
Hope she can get back up!

 
HOOT!
HOOT!
HOOT!
Ready set GO!
HOOT!
The Welch family
My teamie and daughter

HOOT!
I remember team Smith last year!
Glad to see them back!
Ah...
Ahhh...
That's the end. Nick on the bike is the last of the 3 dayers. His job is to make sure everyone is safe and no one is left behind.

Knowing the 3 dayers were safely off, we headed to lunch!
Of course an ICY beer was in store. I may not have walked but I had lost my voice.

While we were there the Tri-Deltas showed up. I don't know maybe we have an internal magnet that draws us to each other. I let them know they would be missing something wonderful at the closing. As much as I would have liked to go - I felt like it was time to call it a day.

All in all cheering was a great experience. I highly recommend to anyone. I do have to say I missed, not walking. I missed seeing the nooks and crannies of the route. BUT I didn't miss the smiles (because we got them). I didn't miss the tears (because we shared them). I didn't miss the hope, the belief or the love. No it was even more ignited by the walkers, those heroes of the sidewalk. 

I am so proud to be a 3 day person - someone who bleeds pink. Together we will change the world. Together we will help create a world without Breast Cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment