Monday, September 3, 2012

It's going to be a special 3 days

The SF 3 day walk for 2012 is 4 days away. As I prepare there are a billion things that need to be whittled down to a duffel bag, and a pair of capris, sweatshirt, team shirt. I will be a credential wearing, New Balanced/Balga footed walker. I need the water, Sharkies, Camera and phone in my fanny pack. My cheeks need some sunscreen. I should remember to lace on the pompoms on the shoes and be at the Village in Corte Madera by 6. I should have trained by walking 585 miles and feel confident I can walk another 60 in the next 3 days. I should be READY.



But before I am standing in the opening ceremonies watching my dear friend Leslie carry a flag representing survivors, I need to do a few other things.

I have team mates arriving on Wednesday and Thursday. I have a business partner I haven't seen in over a week. I have roots that need touch up and a house to ready for guests. There is a litany of little things that need attention and basically 3 days to do them.

I don't think I announced yet on the blog, there is one more thing I need to do before the 3 day and that is to fine tune a speech I will be giving at CAMP on Saturday night. I have been honored by being selected to present a speech representing survivors. I am excited to explain a couple of things that I have learned in walking the 3 day. Although everyone's journey is unique to them, I know many survivors will be able to relate to what I say on Saturday. Its a honor and a responsibility I take seriously. I look forward to looking in people's eyes who GET it. I look forward to joining in the passion that brought them all to the 3 day and hopefully helping to create or point out reasons to return.

Although this walk is an enormous commitment of time, energy and yes money, there is nothing that has so empowered me as an individual. When you realize one person CAN make a difference, and you see how thousands united together can help change something as frightening as CANCER, you cannot help but be ignited.

I sat at my father's bedside and thought about the inevitable fact that we all will leave this world at some point. For me I also recognize, had it not been for finding my Cancer when I did and having the treatment I was fortunate enough to have, that time would have come for me already. So in these years that I have been blessed with, I want to make a difference. I want to live life large regardless of my age. I do not want to cheat myself of any experience because I fear it. I want to take it all in.

When I walk in the 3 day I feel the sum of all those steps will help find a cure for Cancer. Everyone deserves a lifetime - yes even me. But you do too. What are you doing to make the most of the gift you received the day you were born. How are you changing the world for the better.

So YES I have work to do before this 3 day, and it will continue after the walk is over. I welcome the learning that comes along this path. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment