Saturday, February 12, 2011

Going the distance


Its tough out there.

The economy may have helped someone out there, but frankly I don't know who. Maybe bankers...

But most of us have been hit between the eyes with a dose of reality 101. Its hard out there.

As a Realtor, the past three years have been increasingly challenging for me and my clients. If you are in the enviable position of being able to take advantage of this perfect storm of buying opportunities, congratulations. But for many of us, we can only watch as property values have fallen, our savings become stressed to the breaking point, and our optimism for our future becomes weaken. How the heck do you do something like the 3 day in the middle of all of this.

Well, I think the drive that takes you through the training and the walk itself, is the kind of chutzpa that will help get you through anything.

I remember a representative from Susan G Komen asking me if it had been difficult raising the money we did in the current economy. Well, of course it is. Those things that are worthwhile often are difficult. Somehow though it seemed to me there was never a more important time to garner donations than in a time when people's inclination is to not donate. Breast Cancer doesn't know the difference between a recession and a boom year. In fact it might be said that Breast Cancer is even more of a threat in the lean years. There have been studies that show high stress lowers your immunity to many things. No, a recession is not the time to take a break from the fight to end Cancer, it is the time to ratchet it up.

When I am walking 60 miles I am not the type to stop part way through and say, geez, I think that I've done enough. By the time the 3 day is here, I have walked hundreds and hundreds of miles just so when that time comes, when, as it inevitable does, you are looking at a steep San Francisco hill or a blister the size of Montana, you know how to keep going. I am not the sort to say uncle to almost anything.

That stubbornness is what we all need a little more of right now. This life of ours is a journey. There is no one day that defines us. In the end the sum of our days will tell our story. I am proud to be a part of a group of people who see a mountain and realize to climb it only takes one step at a time, and the ability to not give up.

So I am not giving up. I have actually raised my bar for how much I am aiming to raise. This mountain can and will be climbed. One step at a time, one dollar at a time we will get there. A world without Breast Cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment