Wednesday, March 17, 2010

We have a new walker

Dana has joined Team: Are We There Yet?
I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this. First and foremost I love my friend Dana and of course having him walk with us will be great...but....
I will miss Dana catching up with us on the 3 day, ratting out our husbands who were tucked away in a bar. I will miss him handing out the mardi gras beads to tired walkers.
Never was there a 3 day supporter who approached his job with such gusto and purpose. I doubt the rest of the "guys" will be able to rise to the challenge without him.


But... I know on a personal level this is important to Dana. Just as the walk is so important to me. He, like all of us, has lost people he loves to Cancer. He knows, as we all do, the helpless feeling that comes with that loss. He will discover, as I have, the walk serves many purposes. It give you back a sense of control when it comes to Cancer. It helps you understand you can do something about Cancer.


But beyond that it is physical personal challenge that mirrors the battle against the disease of Cancer. To walk in the 3 day, you have to believe you can do it. You have to put one foot in front of the other and walk, day after day. You have to train. You cannot allow circumstances to deter you. Then as you proceed, you find you are stronger and stronger. There will be times you overdo, walk further than you might have, and you have to learn to be gentle to yourself, or you will never win the battle. And then there are times when some people realize, they will need help. There were people on the 3 day who were not shy about understanding their limits. They proved to be stronger people by taking the chase van to the next stop, than pushing themselves beyond their limits. The 3 day in fact honors the sweep van riders with a special sticker!


As you walk on the 3 day you see people along the way who have chosen to a different kind of journey. They choose to crew. Without these people there would be no 3 day. As a walker you LOVE these people because they give you the encouragement to keep going. You find there are people who do this that come alive as the crossing guard or the snack giver. As I continue on my journey, I will remember if there is a time when I either don't have the time, or energy to do the 3 day, I should always have the time or energy to crew. But for now... I am walking.


Team: Are We There Yet? now has 7 walkers. You could be next! Whatever your reason to walk, it will be personal to you. Let me know if you are considering the walk and I will help you sign up either for our team or another one. You can walk or crew here in SF or in one of the many other cities out there. Together we will end Breast Cancer!


The 3 day is a journey to end Cancer, but it is also a journey to discover yourself.


Welcome Dana. Enjoy your walk! (or should I say walks....)

No comments:

Post a Comment