Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fear


Yesterday I got an email from a friend of mine. She apologized for not taking up the mantle and walking with me this year, but, she is in the midst of a very frightening time.


The doctors say there is a mass in her left breast, and they have seen suspicious masses in her cervix and uterus. It is quite understandable that she is afraid. At this point the 'worse" looms like a hovering predatory bird. You feel like you are their prey. You don't know what to do. Do you run and hide? Do you stand and fight? Or do you get out your binoculars and stare it in the eye only to find out it is really a beautiful snowy white egret enjoying the sunny day.


The word Cancer carries with it such emotion and power. For most of us we know people who have lost their battle to Cancer. And perhaps even scarier, we don't understand it. How can you go from one day feeling better than you ever have before in your life, to being told you may die?


I have news though. I am standing here 15 years later and I know you can live! You can live and live and live. I don't know what in the end will take my life. If it is Cancer, so be it, but in the process I own my life not Cancer. I am not afraid of Cancer. I am afraid of fear, because I see that as the true thief.


When you live in fear you invite the monsters to come and hide under your bed. If you live in love and life and the light, there is no where for them to hide.


So my dear friend, if you are reading this I want you to know, Cancer doesn't own your destiny. Cancer will not define the course of your life, you will. Look that baddie monster square in the eyes and laugh at his arrogance. You are stronger than cancer. Love is stronger than fear. Each day you grow stronger and Cancer will retreat into the cave it came from.

You are not "the one" Cancer will take because you KNOW you will win.

You are the survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment