Thursday, October 1, 2009

The day before...


Well, my bag is packed and I'm ready to go....

Tomorrow morning at this time, I will be walking in the the San Francisco 3-day. By all accounts the weather should be decent to fantastic. And true to form for all important things in life, there have been last minute obstacles to test our resolve. Allison has a cold, and has been loading up on any cold remedy known to man. Patti has a sore throat. Glenn (our Sherpa) has thrown out his back. John, Patti's husband broke his ankle. Curtiss, Barbara's husband has shin splints. But none of this will deter us. I picture our team, and our routing section, as that band of soldiers from revolutionary times, with the drummer and the piper and the flag bearer, limping in unison.


I will admit to some nerves about this walk, but they are not about the actual walk, they are about getting sick. Fingers crossed and with "Airborne" in hand, I hope to avoid being so afflicted.


In a few short hours, my house will be a hotbed of activity. Here will be our carbo loaded last supper, and our 4am breakfast. The numbers for our overnight sleepover have started to dwindle though. Originally I thought all team members plus husbands would be staying and getting an early morning start with us. It is down to Barbara (mostly likely not Curtiss), Patti (with her sore throat) only staying for dinner, Jill (declined deciding to meet us at the Cow Palace tomorrow) and then of course Allison and Chris. Our daughter Katie is leaving from Seattle today, so she will see us on route. Dana, our good friend and supporter has decided he will also meet us at the Cow Palace to send us off. It's all going to be busy with controlled chaos.


Thank you to everyone who has supported us on this journey. From the folks at my office who stepped up to help me man my open houses, to my friend Patti who send me a $17.50 Fed-ex yesterday containing the most thoughtful card ever, to those of you who have been reading my blog and letting me know you enjoy what I write and down to those people on the street who give me a thumbs up when they see my pink, or yell out "Are We There Yet?" when they see my shirt. None of you will know how much you have meant and how light you have made my steps.


In the next few days I will be thinking of all of you.

I promise to take lots of pictures, and have a great story to tell when I return on Monday.

You may not be the wind beneath my wings, but you are the joy behind my smile.

More on Monday! Off we go... we're almost there!

1 comment:

  1. Off you go! Congratulations on all your hard work, preparation, and success! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete