Saturday, August 1, 2009

How far did they go??????

Well a better question might be, how far have they come.
Patti and I met at her houseboat in Sausalito at 9am. John, her husband who makes a mean sausage roll, had won 3rd place in a competition at Jazz in the Park. Tyler Florence was one of the judges. They rightfully celebrated the victory by hoisting a few. I think both were running a little slow when I knocked on the door.
Patti looked a bit skeptical, but laced up her shoes so we could head out on what she had figured to be a 14 mile walk. But... as the story unfolds, you will realize...she figured wrong.
Our target was Tiburon. We walked along Richardson Bay cutting over at the Middle School, walking through Eucalyptus Knolls and over to Piattis, where we crossed the freeway via the pedestrian overpass.
When we walked by In and Out we debated the value of a Cheeseburger with onions and kept on walking. Past Pacific Union's building on Belvedere on to Tiburon Blvd and out toward Blackie's Pasture. When we got there Patti started doing the math with me... Ok it was 5.5 miles to Blackies and she had clocked the back side of Tiburon to Blackies to be 8.6. If that were as far as we would go that would indeed be 14 miles... but I reminded her we would have another 5.5 miles to go to get back to Sausalito. That would make the walk 19.5 miles. Ahemmmmm... a little longer than we had discussed... but this is a beautiful place, and we would have a nice long lunch and stop to smell the onions... So on we went.

We took Trestle Glen to cut over to Paradise Drive. Just about at the junction we saw this wonderful hawk. I reminded Patti we should start taking some picture because...I was going to write about THIS walk! I mean if we are walking 19.5 miles, I had better get some photos out of this walk...

The East side of the Tiburon Peninsula is rural and not all that populated partially due to no sewer lines. I kept thinking as I walked how much I would love to live here. Maybe I will win the lottery and buy a nice parcel with water access, hidden from the street.

Do we look happy and content??? It's mile 7 of course we are happy and content!



A large part of this side looks a lot like this. This would be shortly before you make the turn into Old Tiburon. I am guessing this is mighty close to Keil Cove. I known I lived in Keil Cove in a previous life. It is just too perfect not to be MINE!

There it is set back in the trees. There's a lake and an old manor house. It is secluded. A hidden gem.

And don't forget... IT"S MINE!

Ok if I had to maybe I could suffer through living on Mar East with its views of Raccoon Straits and Angel Island... oh yeah a few of the GG Bridge too.

This monument is on the National Historic Register.

It's a good place to stop.

See the bridge in the background.

There was a bit of a summer breeze coming through the gate. The fog hung at the coast for most of the day. But on our walk we were in sun, breezy sun... but sun.

Probably can't make them out but there are some birds sunning themselves on this dock.

Angel Island in the background... I think I am listing.
(Glenn just went on about the difference between listing and heeling. "Heeling" he said is natural while "listing something is amiss. Yes, I would say I was listing. By the time we were here we had walked around 11 miles, I was a wee but tired and ready for lunch!



I don't know what this gentleman was painting, but he and the painting made a nice picture.

Guymas is calling....

Our view from our table.... and we deserved this waterside table.

Patti is quite serious about her carnitas! DON'T get the Poblano Chiles... If I was Gordon Ramsey, I would have thrown them in the bay! But the tortillas beans and rice were yummy. Thanks Patti for letting me have a few pieces of Carnitas!

Patti strolling back toward home...

Ok if I can't have Keil Cove I will take this one...

Lyford House...

We walked along the Tiburon Bike Path retracing our steps. By the time we got to the overpass I had a strange flashback. I remember the first time I took off on a training walk. I walked over the over pass near my office. I had to stop 2 times on the ramp on the way up. Each time I crossed that overpass it got a little easier. Now I was on mile 17 or so and I was walking up that ramp with no more effort than I had used to walk the rest of the walk. What a difference a few months and a few hundred miles makes!
When we walked by the dog park I felt like we were in our backyard. It was somewhere along here that Patti reminded me the furthest she had walked was 14 miles. This was definitely a big jump from that walk. We pressed on, all the way to her door where I looked at the pedometer. 19.575 miles. That is really an awesome feat... but can you guess what I did when I said goodbye... I walked past my car, and up to Issaquah dock and back to the car until... I looked at the pedometer and here is what it said....

OK now that I did that, I only need to do that 3 times in a row. HELP me keep motivated (okay I am motivated on my own, but the encouragement would help.) DONATE to my walk. Let's end CANCER in our lifetime. I know we can do it! If I can walk 20 miles, we can end Cancer. Not that long ago, walking 20 miles would have been a far more impossible task to me than ending Cancer. All the energy of all the people walking and training throughout the country,, all for this great cause HAS to be as powerful as any arsenal known to man. How can something so EVIL as Cancer outweigh this great GOOD...It can't. Back off Cancer we have you in our sights. YOU ARE FINISHED! We all have had enough of you!
DONATE today...or Come to WINE WARS. Join us! We're on the winning side.


No comments:

Post a Comment