Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hiho, Hiho, It's off to work I go.....


This morning was cool, with the fog laying heavy down Tennessee Valley. As I looked out the streaked window, I decided it was also the perfect kind of day to walk to work. Since I have done this before, I knew the total miles would be over 6 to the office. If I survived I decided I would attempt the return as well. So when Glenn asked if I wanted to walk the dogs, I passed. I knew I would have plenty of walking ahead of me today. After all I am nursing a bum knee!

Over the past month I have develped a pretty sore right leg. The tendon that runs the outside edge of the leg I think could have been tweeked at Yoga or on a walk. Last week, I went for a massage and it felt a LOT better. But I also decided it might rise to the level of other treatment. Yesterday I went to accupuncture.
Marshall Tong had seen me 2 years ago for a bad back and after 3 treatments I was much improved. This is versus the 6 months of visiting the chiropractor last year! So I decided to see if he could help my leg.

It's a strange feeling having someone stick you with a dozen needles in your ear, even stranger when you notice the electrical charge of your nerves connecting through the needles. When Dr. Tong put in the last needle I about hit the ceiling, but it must have done some good, because here I was walking down the HILL from the neighbrhood heading out to the office.
See the speed meter.... I was walking and it read me! 4 mph


The egrets were busy in the wetlands along the path. You can tell they have their own territory. one would come near another and the feathers would bristle, letting the intruder know... this in MINE! I had borrowed this nifty camelback backpack I bought Glenn for our anniversary (ulterior motive revealed!) It has a bladder inside that you fill with water. It holds A LOT! and it helped me to remember to drink more. Water is never more important than when you are walking.

I made two short stops at the dog park and at the town center, and about 10 stops to stretch that leg of mine! Before I knew it I was at the office.

Working after walking must be pretty darn exicting for my co-workers. I am sure I smell abotu as inviting as the sewer plant I walked by! Thankfully I have a nice office, with a DOOR, so I don't think I bothered too many people.


I called Glenn and asked him to pick up his sweaty wife and take her to lunch. As much as I wanted to have a nice cold beer.... I stuck to ice tea.


I decided I had rested enough. Recharged the engines and was ready to head back home!

The way home had one or two more stretches than the way to the office. When I got back to Tam Valley I stopped at the Farmer's Market and grabbed a perfectly ripe nectarine. On the way UP the hill...(grrr) I stopped three times to talk with people. It made the climb much more enjoyable.
Meadowsweet Dairy - CM

Now I am sitting in the chair in the family room very aware that... I AM GLAD...I will be going back to see Dr. Tong tomorrow. The results? The pedometer reads 14.3 miles. It says I burned 959 calories... Time for that beer?


Horse hill ---- horse

We have been quite a few more RSVPs for WINE WARS! I am anxious to send out the real invitations! Don't forget to ask for yours, either by RSVPing to the evite, or sending me a note. Heck you can post here too if you'd like. And if you'd like to DONATE there is still time.

BTW - Dr. Tong saw me the day after and announced...No more walking more than 5 miles a day for 2 weeks! We'll see about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment