Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What happens if your car breaks down????

Well, the age old question. What would happen if I had to walk to work, was answered today. The only difference being I chose to walk, instead of drive.
This was a day that I could safely guess I could go to the office and not need my car. So I looked at my neglected dogs and grabbed my fanny pack and headed out.

This is the fruit stand at the corner of Tennessee Valley Road and Shoreline


The multi use path heading north had a motorized scooter, runners, dogs, walkers and of course bikes. The song I was listening to on the way was "Both sides of the story." It occurred to me as I walked there are always two sides to a story. One person's experience will never be the same as anothers. How many times have you sat on the outside of someones dispute with another person and understood both sides? It is so much easier isn't it, when it is someone else.

I remember sitting on a patio in Hirschfeld Germany with East German relatives and West German relatives. Now this was easy for me to have no real opinion, since I haven't lived through what they have. My West German relative had bemoaned, to me, the situation in the old east Germany (where Hirschfeld is). "We have given them all kinds of opportunities, but they are lazy, they want someone to do it for them. I gave a job to a relative from here as a mechanic and he went back home. He was ungrateful." The East German relative as we sat there talked about how all she wants to do is be a shop girl, but there is no work. So she drives a tractor from 7 in the morning to 7 at night.

In the end I imagined that East German cousin going to West Germany, being given a job. He would have rightfully missed his family, and people who knew him.
I thought about my West German cousin who had put in a good word to a friend to secure the job. I imagine how disappointed he was to have his good works rejected.

In the end, I think both people had valid reasons to feel the way they did. The shame in it is... now the chance they will be friends is diminished. They are family... with two different lives. How much better would it be if they each could accept the fact that they are different people. Wouldn't it be amazing if they could celebrate their differences instead of being hurt by them. Always try and see the other side of the coin before giving up on someone.
But... I digress...




Back to the walk... This is the Mill Valley Community Center

Now Ring Mountain Day School, it used to be my daughter Katie's High School, North Bay.

Horse Hill

Someone's teddy

Bike Path #5 heading to Corte Madera along Horse Hill

The horses.

You walk along 101 as you head North.
Eureka! (no not the town....) I'm there at the office!

Now I need to plan my walk back.... This was 6.4 miles from my front door to the office door, according to walkjogrun.net
Two sides to the same story...I am walking this walk to end Cancer in our lifetimes. I am walking this walk to embrace my life. I am walking this walk to end excuses.
My daughter and my teammates are all walking for their own reasons. Maybe they can tell us on this blog what they are.
I only know I am so happy they has chosen to join me in this challenge. Those who have donated have had their own reasons why have been so generous. To each and everyone of you my heart felt thanks. For those who are thinking of donating, please do. Your generosity will help make a difference in this terrible disease.
(When I get home, I will add a line to this post so you know I made it. )
I made it back!!! In one piece. That makes 12.8 miles today
Tomorrow is all work and no play.

No comments:

Post a Comment