Thursday, May 7, 2009

Roses and shorebirds


Heading out today for an honest to goodness walk. I guess it is inevitable that some of my walks will end up to be repeats, but I thought a walk to Paradise Market for lunch would be just the right length and difficulty for my "recovery." After crossing the highway, I headed to the marsh pathways, to Mariner Cove, to Paradise Market (on the Tiburon border) and back again.

I am an improved walker with my birthday present on hand... an I-pod from my sweetie. So to the tunes of Diana Krall.... off I went, the cough barely evident, with a smile on my face.

This was the walk of the shorebirds, then roses, then shorebirds again. Here are some of the flora and fauna along the way.
















Look carefully, there's a possum in this shot!


Now on to the roses which are very prolific in Mariner Cove.






























After a nice lunch at Paradise, I was back on the road, with new socks on...

(a trick I have learned to reduce blisters....)



















Last two walk photos are... a family of ducks and a red wing black bird... Guess this phone camera isn't the BEST!














THEN BACK TO THE OFFICE!
I wrote something in facebook about "Be Fierce in the face of overwhelming odds." Someone asked if I was speaking about me. The answer is NO. I have been blessed beyond measure, as many of us have been. I had Cancer, and I kicked it's ***. There are people everyday who are faced with horrible news, terrible diagnoses. It is important to be fierce in the battle, and never listen to someone who says it is time to give up. Give up should never be in your vocabulary.

I have though often of how incredibly lucky my generation has been. I was born in 1953. My husband is an example of the many guys my age who didn't have a war to fight. The Vietnam War had wound up by the time their numbers were called. Today, my son-in-law, Chris, is in Iraq for his second tour for duty. I am so proud of him, because this is something he has chosen to do. After serving 6 years in the AF he is now serving in the Colorado National Guard. His wife, my daughter, is my walk partner. If you can donate to her walk... http://www.the3day.org/goto/Allison

I and she will appreciate the support, as will Chris, who hears daily briefings about the training.

He plans to be cheering us on in SF in October. Keep him in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment