Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hot days and cool chicks

Here we are... Team "Are we there yet?" minus two key members.

I love these amazing women. My life is blessed with the most amazing people. Barbara (in the middle) joined Patti and I for a walk to Tennessee Beach. Barbara and her husband Curtiss live in the Sacramento area. She signed on to our walk without hesitation. Barbara, being a very thoughtful person, has taken the training schedule provided by the 3 day to heart. This week she was scheduled to walk 5 miles... and I being the smarty pants I am suggested walking to the beach. I am thinking it was a wise move to chose a walk to the beach in a heat wave.

I don't think this hat is ugly Barbara... I think it has character!

Patti is recuperating from surgery, so her commitment to training is very admirable. Perhaps just as admirable are the two husbands who came along. John with Patti and Curtiss with Barbara. Where was Glenn you may ask... ah hmmm. He took it on himself to go fetch liquid refreshments (code word for margaritas) for a dinner al fresco on our patio when we returned.

It never ceases to impress me every time I walk in our own little Tennessee Valley. It is a place of singular beauty. The sights, smells, the feeling of the ocean breeze, awaken your senses, recharge your batteries, lifts your heart. It is a wonderful thing to share this place with people for the first time. Barbara and Curtiss were suitably impressed.

By the way, I think it is particularily wonderful, that I like all of my good friend's husbands. It is also unusal that so many of us have been married FOREVER! Like Curtiss and Barbara above. Glenn and I went to their wedding (I was a bridesmaid). What was that 28 or 29 years ago?

Once at the beach, it was evident that we would be just shy of our 5 miles on our return, so Barbara dutifully pointed this out and headed out to touch both rocky ends of the beach. The cliffs that line the beach are a geology lesson in and of themselves. You can see the strata that has been sifted though pressure, movement. The cliffs looks like they are still in motion.


Ladybug

The beach was alive with a ton of ladybugs. Barbara wanted to take them home to Sacramento. But I think they seemed perfectly happy sunbathing on the small pebble beach.

We headed back to the parking lot and because we were only at 4.6 miles, Barbara turned to me and asked if I wanted to keep going. So Patti, John and Curtiss headed up to the house to meet up with Glenn, and make sure the margaritas were cold and waiting, and Barbara and I walked the rest of the way to the entry to our neighborhood.

We enjoyed a great dinner with our good good friends - eating outside on our patio, that's a great treat! Usually it's a wee bit cool but us Marinites were baskingin the warmth. Our Sacramento friend still thought it was freezing at 75 degrees!


Patti brought me a stunning pair of .... PINK quartz earrings for a belated Birthday gift. She and John picked them up while cruising the Panama Canal. I promise I will wear them on the big 3 day walk....

Now on to the rest of the training. I am thinking I am ready for a return to Yoga. (fingers crossed that there won't be any return of the hacking cough). I look forward to meeting Barbara on her turf one day to train in Sacramento. (But I am requesting EARLY morning....I am a Tam Valley girl and don't take too well to that 100 degree weather!)
I wish Allison could come out here for one of these walks. I missed Jill also. Hopefully we will find at least one time pre-event where we all can walk together.

Remember we want your donation!
It is like the fuel that keeps us walking like little ever-ready bunnies. (Credit to Jill)

PS - We are planning our Wine Wars, some time in August. Let us know if you like, wine, food, music and fun! We'll send you an invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment