Thursday, May 21, 2009

7.2 Miles.... Is that too far to walk for lunch? Or...where's the magic wand?


I decided to take a lunch break. Ok, it was more than an hour, but, it was great to get out there and enjoy the perfect weather, and the chance to WALK. My new passion... walking.

When you are out there, walking by yourself, your mind wanders. I will see something and think, "Oh I can write about that..." or "I remember a time when..." I had forgotten how many things can entertain or inspire you when you aren't stressing over the economy, worrying about your job or other of life's stressors. I think in this post I will talk about a couple of these thoughts that hit... please indulge me.

Today, I saw a kid, a teenager. he had a huge scowl on his face. He looked so unhappy. It made me think about times in my life when I felt unloved, not attractive, untalented, not smart. It happens to all of us. Some of us, in the midst of that self doubt, find a way to acknowledge the positives, that all too often get drowned out by the loud screaming sounds of our own insecurities. For me, on balance I have been more happy than sad, more proud than ashamed, more confident than insecure. But it didn't always come easy and seeing this boy made me remember that.
Don't you just wish you could have a magic wand and when you see someone so unhappy, you could pull it out and POW! you could just put a smile on their face. What a great gift that would be to fast forward that person into a more positive place. So much unhappiness could be avoided with a magic wand.

I thought back to when I told myself I couldn't keep up with other people, because I was out of shape, fat and old. Then I became aware of how strong my walking has become. This thought made me smile.

When I got to Woodlands market, I grabbed a nice healthy lunch and headed outside to grab a table. A man got up and was going to give me his nice table in the shade. I was just about to sit down when two women swooped in and jumped in front of me. I looked at them and said "I'm sorry, did you want to sit there?" "Yes thank you" they said and pushed me away and sat down. At this point I thought...hmmm wish I had a magic wand and I could pull it out and say POW! and give those women some real manners.
The end point of the walk was downtown Ross and our new office. Right now it is still a dress shop, but soon.... Alain Pinel, will have a VERY cool downtown Ross office. I love that about this company. They are grabbing Marin with no reservations. They are committing in a time when others are waffling. Made me think I wanted a magic wand so that I could pull it out and POW! short sales and foreclosures would be a thing of the past! (Psst...that is coming soon)


I looked at my watch and I realized I had to power walk back to the office. I had a 2 pm appt. in Mill Valley. So I turned up the after burners and got going. Still took time to snap a few pictures on the way. I have passed by this building off Bon Air several times. Here, I can't help but think about when I was diagnosed with Cancer. After the mammogram I went to the surgeon who did a needle biopsy. She said, "I don't think there is any question this is cancer, but to get the answer from this biopsy today, you need take it to the lab." This is the building I took it to. I walked in like I was walking for the past couple of days, like a deer in the headlights. I got the call later that day. Surgery was scheduled in two days. If I had a magic wand, I would pull it out and POW! no one would ever have a day like that again.

And so.... with no wand.... I put my head down and walked with even more purpose. It may not be a wand, but it is powerful. This walk, your support....one day soon, we will find a cure.

PLEASE DONATE today. Let's make some magic!

Here are some misc. pictures I snapped on the walk.

Jasmine is blooming everywhere. It smells so "heady" as you walk by....
You don't even have to see it to know its there.

No comments:

Post a Comment