Saturday, March 21, 2009

The journey to October 2-4 SF... As so it begins!

Alright folks, here's my story.

I am 55 (almost 56) years old. When I was 42 years old,14 years ago, I got the diagnosis of IDC of the breast. Invasive Interductal Carcinoma.

I remember the day very well. I had finally gotten around to getting a mammogram, after having felt a small lump during a shower one day. I brought my young daughters with me, who I left in the waiting room as I checked in with the receptionist. She was keen to let me know I had to be sure to give her the information about my last Mammogram. She wanted to know where I had had it done so they could get the films and compare it to the ones they were taking that day.

I went in, and they did the mammogram, I told the technician that I had felt a lump on the lowest part of the left breast. She had to really work at getting that part of the breast into the machine. She took the picture and said to wait until she could see if it was clear. She came back , ashen looking. "You can go now," she said. "Your Doctor will call you with the results."

Stopping at the receptionist desk I told her that I could give her the name of the last Center where my last Mammogram had been done. "Oh we don't need that now" she bristled. I looked at my two daughters in the waiting room and gathered them up to leave. I knew they had seen something. I went home to wait for the call.

The Dr. called and apologized. This was a new Dr. and I have never been to see her, my old OBGYN had retired. "This is a very strange call to make, since I have never met you. I am afraid I have to tell you , you have breast cancer."

The following weeks and months were a mix of waiting, panicking, 2 surgeries, chemo-therapy, incredible friends and community who lifted me up and held me through this difficult time.

One friend, knowing my reputation for "getting things done" commented, "Poor Cancer, now that Cathy's on the scene she will find a cure and beat you down."

And I did win my battle with Cancer, but Cancer wasn't down and out. Since then several friends have been diagnosed, two have died. 1-8 women get Breast Cancer. That's not a beast that has been beaten. The good news is, Cancer isn't the death sentence you have been told it is. In fact there has been a full court press on finding a cure for Breast Cancer. So many people have lent their energies, given of themselves and their pocketbooks it has begun to turn the tide.

BUT...where was Cathy. I don't know, but I think, I have been waiting. Waiting to believe, I have a long life to live and it is time to act like I believe it.

One morning, not long after I heard another friend had been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I heard another of the ads for the 3 Days and 60 miles walk for a cure. The funds benefit the Susan G Komen Fund. This fund has touched just about every study that has lead to an advance in this illness. In the past, I would hear these ads and feel just a touch guilty and maybe a little helpless. Perhaps I would donate to someone who was walking, but this time I started playing with the idea of signing up.

This week, I did. I have decided to embrace the future, by taking strides now.

I KNOW I will do this. I KNOW I can make a difference. I BELIEVE we will find a cure in my lifetime. I CELEBRATE that my daughters will not have to hear those words "I am sorry to tell you, you have Breast Cancer.

1 comment: